Wednesday, October 12, 2005

To: UR So Right

Thank you for your intelligent commentary and the information relative to Vicente Fox Quesada, of which I was unaware. I promise that in no way was I putting you on when I asked what you have against Fox, as I am almost completely ignorant of Mexican politics. Now that you have piqued my interest I will have to do my research.

About all I know about Fox is that represents the PRI, which, I think has ruled Mexico for most, if not all, of its Constitutional history and which is probably as corrupt as the current U. S. republicans. I know also that Fox and Bush are friendly (I suppose that Fox is as patient with Bush’s Spanish speaking as is my favorite Merida restauranteur with mine); and that he and his PRI cronies attempted to prevent the mayor of Mexico City, Andres Manuel López Obrador, from running for president next year, but was forced to back down on that count when faced with popular protests.

I understand that Lopez (is that the correct name to use, I’m still a bit confused about how to properly use Mexican names) is leading in the polls and that he stands against the “neo-liberal” policies promoted by the U. S. and its IMF and World Bank tools. I am hoping that Lopez will win and take his place next to Chavez, Castro and the recently elected presidents of a number of Latin American nations that are resisting U. S. efforts to suck up even more L. A. wealth. It looks like Boliva, thanks to a truly popular movement, may be next to elect a president who will say no to U. S. hegemony.

It seems to me that since the U. S. took a more hands off approach to the internal affairs of the sovereign nations of Latin America that democracy has emerged in most of those nations. I think the U. S. should follow the lead of many L. A. nations, and South Africa, and establish a truth commission to expose the misdeeds of the U. S. government since it became an imperial power at the turn of the twentieth century. I will not be holding my breath, though, as the forces of capital have complete political control of the U. S.

As for being numero uno en ti libro – muchas gracias. Please continue with your intelligent contributions to my education relative to Mexican politics, though, being a foreigner, I think it would be presumptuous, and thus inappropriate, for me to comment extensively on such.

Hasta luego.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris, Vicente Fox represents the former opposition party to the PRI, which, according to the Wikipedia, is called National Action Party (Spanish: Partido Acción Nacional), known by the acronym PAN.

Fox is the first non-PRI president in about 60 some years.

Jeez, don't get too interested in Mexican politics--It's a little on the sordid side.

Duncan

Duncan

You Know Me said...

Duncan,
Thanks for the correction. As I indicated, I am ignorant of Mexican politics.

I must say, however, that I think we who are subject to government by Cheny, Rove, DeLay, Norquist, Reed, Abramoff, Frist, Allen, Coburn, Brownback, the other religous fanatics in congress, the neo-fascist ideologues managing our foreign affairs, and etc. etc. have no standing to refer to politics in other countries as sordid.

It doesn't get more sordid, or entertaining I must say, than what we have.

Thanks again for the correction and for following the blog.

Take care.

Anonymous said...

When did I abandon my standing personally to tell the truth about my government and others?

The Bushes will be gone soon. Karl Rove will be in jail for perjury or whatever. None of this will erase the history of imperialism of the USA. All we can do is move it in the right direction.

As for Mexico, you'll find that it bears the marks of too many years of one-party rule, like the one that Rove and DeLay are aiming at. The government is run by and for a hereditary elite of nearly 100% European blood. Senior diplomats, university presidents, and so on) are all quite pale. The main exceptions are in the higher reaches of politics--like Cuatemoc Cardenas (however you spell that), who ran for president recently on PRI breakaway spinter group. He lost. His father, believe, was president back in the 30s or whatever.

The population is majority Native though. Everywhere you go you see statues of the beloved Benito Juarez (a Zapotec who was president in the 1860s). The Wikipedia says he was the only native American president in Mexico's history. For nearly 150 years he has held that title.

The PRI gave lip service to social welfare and restribution of wealth, but it never really percolated down to the folks. They are still in poverty.

Combine that with the PRI's rigging of elections national and state elections, and you've got ...

So the PAN is probably good just as competition, huh?

Duncan

You Know Me said...

Thanks for the further information about Mexican history and politics. I am very aware of the Euro-Mexican domination of Mexican politics,its economy, and its popular culture; and I certainly do not suggest that the Mexican political system is not corrupt.

Since I am not Mexican I don't think I have standing to criticize the Mexican government, I intend to restrict my commentary to the U. S. political scene.

Anonymous said...

Very sensible.