Tuesday, October 11, 2005

My Wheels

I now have transportation other than my feet, and my feet are now rejoicing.

The bike has a shock absorbing front end, which is handy on the cobblestones; and 18 speeds, tough given that Merida is essentially flat they're are not all necessary. It seems that bikes with aluminum frames are not readily available here so I had to settle for steel.

At any rate, the bike, with plastic fenders and a rack, came to $1,180 pesos, or about $110. U.S. I bought it from a local shop, operated by some very nice folks, just South of Centro.

Now I can peddle on over to WalMart and flip it off.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Neat bike. Did you think to get a lock or anything? Guess that won't be necessary in Merida since everyone sounds so nice and all.

There does seem to be at least one party pooper though. Yes, I'm talking about "Mataviejitas", or "Little Old Lady Killer", who is either a tall, powerfully built woman or a man who dresses in female clothes, talks his way into the victims' houses and kills them with household objects.

He/she is responsible for the unusual killings of four elderly women in Mexico City so far this year. And 37 other women since 2003.

But gosh, listen to me. They were probably Fox (Vencente I mean)supporters anyway right? Not really worth mentioning. Never mind.

You Know Me said...

I do have a lock, which I had and brought with me. No wonder the Mexican customs officials at the airport though I'm nuts. They were, of course, right. I notice that most bikes here are not locked when parked, but I think I'll be locking mine when I leave it unattended. This afternoon, though, I road to my local market and left it against a sign post where the proprietor said he would watch it, so I didn't lock it.

Mexico City, and its millions of inhabitants, is a long way from here, so I don't think I'll be worrying about the killer. What do you have against Fox Vincente?

Anonymous said...

I think you should put some playing cards on the spokes. cool man!