Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Cost of Living Here

Before I left Elma a number of folks asked me about the cost of living here. Now that I found the grocery store in my neighborhood I can report that I today purchased a six pack of Pacifico beer in cans, 90 grams of butter, about 2 lbs. of cheese, a 405 gram loaf of bread, 20 corn tortillas, a 200 gram bar of soap, and two red onions, all for $104 pesos, which is about $9.63 U. S. The haircut I had at the local barber shop earlier today was $2.30 U.S. and the 1 ½ dozen eggs I bought yesterday were $1.56 U.S. A pack of non-filter Mexican cigarettes is $1.20 U.S.

There are number of restaurants in the neighborhood which folks operate from their homes. Today I stopped at one and had a sope (a thick corn tortilla with chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, beans, and sour cream) and an orange soda for $1.30 U.S. Breakfast this morning, in the tourist area, of a plate of fruit, a cup of plain yogurt, and a bowl of granola was about $5.00 U.S. An hour at the internet café runs about $ .90 U.S.

This evening I had a 10” pizza and two beers at the pizzaria around the corner for $7.50 U.S.

Of course, if one shops in the tourist areas the prices are higher.

No comments: