Thursday, February 09, 2006

Merida English Library

Today I walked the few blocks to the Merida English Library and became a member. Though I am grateful to Armando for feeding me a steady stream of reading material, I really prefer non-fiction. The first book I borrowed from the MEL is “A New History of Cuba” by Richard Gott, which is more in line with my tastes.

Of the books I’ve read since being here I highly recommend “Love and War in Apennines”, which I bought at the MEL some weeks ago . The true story recounts a British soldier’s exploits in eluding the German army and Italian fascists after leaving an Italian prisoner of war camp upon Italy’s surrender from WWII. He was aided by Italian hill farmers of the Apennines, many of whose sons were sent off to fight the Russians, never to return, and who generally had great distaste for the fascists. The descriptions of the Apennines and its hill farmers are colorful and fascinating.

No comments: