Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Help Send Bill O'Reilly to Darfur

In case you haven’t heard NYT pundit Nicholas Kristof is sponsoring a pledge drive to send Bill O’Reilly to Darfur, Sudan. Before you get too excited, Kristof insists that it be a round trip. As Kristof put it:

"Offers will be anonymous, except maybe to the N.S.A. Sure, this is a desperate measure. But with several hundred thousand people already murdered in Darfur and two million homeless and living in shantytowns, the best hope for those still alive is a strong dose of American outrage. . . .

"Mr. O'Reilly has a big audience and a knack for stirring outrage. Lately, he (quite properly) galvanized an outcry over a ridiculously light sentence for a sexual predator in Vermont. The upshot was that the sentence was increased. Good for him.

"So imagine the furor Mr. O'Reilly could stir up if he publicized the hundreds of thousands of rapes, murders and mutilations in Darfur. He could save lives on a grand scale.

"Join the pledge drive!"

You may email your pledge to sponsorbill@gmail.com.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I love your blog and your sharp sacastic views towards your old country. I am moving ot merida in May and from Toronto. I am Scottish and married to a lovely mexican woman who I met in Cuba. Do you have any contacts for apartments in Merida? I will continue to read your and working gringos blogs as they give a great insight.
Thanks again
Harry

You Know Me said...

Harry,
Thank you very much. I am humbled by your comments. I hope we can meet upon your arrival in Merida.

I made contact with my landlord through Tierra Yucatan Real Estate. Though I never did receive a response from Mariacarmen, the designated rental person in the firm, Zarahi took up my cause and in short order I had made arrangements for my digs through email with the owner.

I would send an email to Tierra Yucatan at info@tierrayucatan.com and if you don't receive a response send a message directly to Jennifer, the boss. That's how I got hooked up with Zarahi.

Their website, in case you haven't seen it, is at http://www.jensyucatan.com/.

I never received responses from the other local realtors to whom I sent inquiries before coming.

You might also check the classifieds at http://www.yucatan.com.mx/ On the right open the drop down menu under "Avisos económicos" and click on
"Bienes Raices" for the real estate listings.

My landlord has told me that there is such a demand for apartments in Merida that he intends to build another unit here. He also mentioned a swimming pool.

Please keep in touch and let me know If there might be anything I can do to help with your effort. And please contact me when you get into town.

Thanks again for you kind words.
Chris Brown