Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Armando

This past Sunday Armando, my 88 year old (soon to be 89) Cuban American neighbor asked if he could take me lunch at a local cocina economica/bar I had told him about. I of course accepted.

A week or so ago Armando asked if I would email his granddaughter and let her know that his mailing address had changed. I did. In her response his granddaughter expressed her concerns for his health.

So with Armando's authorization I emailed this picture to her to show her that her grandfather is in such a shape that those of us who might live to 89 could only wish for.

Armando has been wonderful to me, particularly in helping me to understand local ways. He is also a great source of information of Cuban history, of which I've been recently grilling him while reading "Cuba - A New History". He left Cuba for the USA in 1957 and retired here 27 years ago.

No comments: