Thursday, December 29, 2005

Compost Report from El Gringo Loco

When composting, or so I’ve read, it is vital to have the correct nitrogen (generally green or wet materials) to carbon (generally brown or dry materials) ratio and the correct water content. Roughly 25 parts C to 1 part N, layered or mixed, and 60% moisture. With the correct proportion of ingredients the pile will heat up to 140 degrees F or higher and decomposition will occur.

Too much N is better than not enough, as with not enough decomposition will not occur. Too much water will result in a slimy concoction.

A couple of weeks ago I turned the compost pile, which at the time consisted mostly of dried mango and palm frond leaves, and incorporated a large pile of green vegetation that I had removed from the areas I cleared for the watermelon and cantaloupe vines to run and a bit of dried palm frond leaves I salvaged from next door. A couple of days later I left the reconstituted pile uncovered during a day of rain.

Apparently I got the nitrogen/carbon ratio and water content right, as now when I pull the plastic cover from the pile, to add kitchen wastes, steam emerges when it’s 60 degrees outside. The pile is really cooking, and is teeming with potato bugs, other insects, geckos, and an occasional mouse all doing their part. Consuming and excreting.

The soil here is quite shy of organic material so the compost will really help.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks......i needed a short and concise recipe for compost.....i generally just throw everything in and then after awhile toss it in a bed......but i have recently been given a whole bunch of rabbit, chicken and horse manure that i am adding to my garden....so the info is timely.

thanks again

You Know Me said...

As they say here, me mucho gusto.