Thursday, November 10, 2005

What's Got Into CNN? Has it Crawled Down Off the Lap of Power?

Bill Frist is the majority leader of the U. S. Senate and says he doesn’t care if the U. S. government is operating “black site” secret gulag/torture centers.

From CNN:

"My concern is with leaks of information that jeopardize your safety and security -- period," Frist said. "That is a legitimate concern."

And

Frist was asked if that meant he was not concerned about investigating what goes on in detention centers.

"I am not concerned about what goes on and I'm not going to comment about the nature of that," Frist replied.

Read the CNN report here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of CNN; Larry King interviewed Judith Miller yesterday. While not really a news source, that part of the show which allows calls can be espcially revealing. The public is willing to ask questions that are passed on by many gutless reporters. EXCEPT, in the case of the interview with Judith, there was no calls. Must have been no interest. Huh!

The comment from the Bloomberg piece says that the reporting is becoming increasingly irrelevant - after King's piece, one can only say ....I hope so.

NL

You Know Me said...

A minor correction, if I may. What I said in my comment under the Bloomberg thread was that the "corporate media" is becoming irrelevant, not "reporting." I think the medium of reporting is changing somewhat and that independent journalists, some with very good sources (i.e. Steve Clemons, Lauara Rozen, Josh Marshall and many others) are doing some fine original reporting in their blogs.

Sorry for the hair splitting but I think there is an important distinction.

Anonymous said...

I would not argue the point and stand corrected.

NL