Monday, November 14, 2005

Apartment Complex Sunday Evening Salon

As I indicated in my Walmart confession, the occupants of the other apartments here and I had planned to have a pot luck dinner on the back patio last evening. As it turned out, it began to rain, at times quite heavily, at about 4:00 PM and continued. Consequently, the five of us squeezed around the breakfast bar in my apartment and enjoyed a fine meal of lasagna, home made rolls, salad, win, beer, and a bit of tequila.

Armando, my 88 year old Cuban neighbor who lived in the U.S. from 1958 until his retirement in the late 1970s when he moved here; Joel, the trombone player in the symphony; and Laura and Jeff, the Canadian couple who moved in last week, are all very pleasant, interesting folks. We had lots of laughs; and shared travel stories, of which Laura and Jeff have very many, while we ate and drank. Joel clued us into the fact that the Yucatan Symphony Orchestra is populated by musicians from around the world and Armando told us of his life in Cuba and the U. S.

Most of the conversation was in English, with simultaneous translation for Joel, who speaks only a bit of English, by either Armando or me.

It was great getting to know more about my neighbors; and, I think, everyone else was glad to get together to kind of break the ice. I suspect we will be having another complex salon soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It looks as though you are adjusting quite well amigo.
While looking for flights to Merida, I found it to be difficult around Thanksgiving and Xmas, which is why I decided on a visit to Loreto.
Will take another look for a visit after the 1st of the year.
All is well at home, weather is cold at night and sunny days for the next week anyway.
I was curious what Armando had to say about Cuba.