Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Federico's Cafico Coffee Shop

Meet Federico Navarro A., proprietor of the Cafico coffee shop on Calle 58 a few doors South of Parque Santa Ana and purveyor of the best coffee I've been able to find in my limited explorations of Merida.

When I accompany my neighbor Armando on the 4 block walk he takes each day to pick up his lunch, from the cocina economica operated by my Spanish teachers, we often go to Federico's for a cup of high test Cafe Cubano served in styrofoam demitasse.


The walls of Federico's shop are adorned with quite a number of pictures of Mexican revolutionary hero Pancho Villa.

Federico roasts beans grown in Chiapas and Veracruz in his really cool coffee roasting machine you can see at the right. When Federico is roasting one can detect the wafting aroma from a half block away.

I buy expresso roast ground as fine as Federico's machine will turn it out for my morning fix of high test.

Federico es un hombre muy amable. He has taken to saving his waste coffee grounds for me, which I use as abono in my garden. I returned the favor by taking him one of the watermelons from my last crop.

Federico is another one of the many reasons I like it here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whew! I thought el macho grande was going to suggest that you should put clippings from YOUR hair in your garden! That would only work if your garden was, say, the size of a terrarium. Love ya buddy!

You Know Me said...

Even for a terrarium it could be only a once per year application.