Monday, November 13, 2006

Trip To Puebla

Sunday I drove with Tere, the woman from whose store I buy produce, for about two and a half hours to a huge market near the city of Puebla. Tere wanted to check the prices at the market to see if it would make economic sense for here to buy a pickup truck to drive to the market to buy produce for here store. She discovered prices about 40% less than she pays at the market in Xalapa.

I was amazed at how rapidly the terrain and climate changed as we climbed the mountains to Perote, which is the first town one comes to when entering a broad, semi-arid plateau. When we left Xalapa it was raining fairly forcibly; at around Las Vigas, not far from Xalap, we entered dense clouds; climbing further the sun began to shine through the clouds; and when we emerged onto the plateau the sky was blue. Between Las Vigas and Perote the mountains are covered with Pine, Cedar, and other trees of which I am unfamiliar. At Perote the trees thinned and cactus began appearing. A bit further along the trees were completely gone from the mountains and vast irrigated corn fields of sandy volcanic soils spread across the plateau, and the roadside vegetation was withered, quite unlike the green that predominates the Xalapa side of the mountains.

Tere bought two large bags of onions, 4 boxes of tomatoes, a large bag of chile peppers, and some hibiscus flowers, from which a sweet drink, popular hereabouts and in Merida, is concocted and I went for the truck.

I backed out of the parking space, facing the wrong way at the end of a one way street and turned to head for the bounty. A private security guard thought I had driven the wrong way all along the one way street and waved me over. I realized he was not a real policeman and politely explained to him that I had not driven the wrong way down the street but was merely backing out of a parking space. He certainly overplayed his hand when he told me that the infraction carried a $300 pesos fine. I politely told him I wasn’t paying him anything, asked him todo bien, shook his hand, wished him a nice day, and went on my way to load vegetables.

During the return trip we stopped at a roadside chicken restaurant where they roasted probably 50 chickens at a time on long wooden spits over wood fires. The chicken was very good and bill was even better. We paid $100 pesos for two Negra Modelos, two soda pops, half a chicken, rice, shredded cabbage, salsa and tortillas.

4 comments:

You Know Me said...

El Macho,

Tere has the economics all figured out. She basically would be taking on more work by vending fruits and vegetables to restaurants as well as from her shop. She actually moves quite a bit or produce through her shop.

You're right, for me it's an opportunity to tour with a guide familiar with the area. Additionally, I receive the pleasure of being able to help.

Before I left Merida I lent Federico, from whom I bought coffee, money which he used to expand his offerings to include ice cream and for him to paint and rearrange the place. Every month Federico deposits $1000. pesos into my bank account. I will also lend money to Tere if she decides to buy a pickup.

I actually did take my camera but didn't tkae any photos.

Anonymous said...

Good move with the security guy, you probably remember I had the same experience last year in Cabo.

Enjoy Amigo!!!

1st Mate said...

The drink made from hibiscus is jamaica, which makes a very healthy drink (probably best with a little lime juice and maybe a bit of sweetener.)

Such a deal on the roadside restaurant! I'll have to try that when we go south. Here in Sonora a lot of the roadsiders charge stateside prices.

You Know Me said...

Ahoy 1st mate,

Thanks for your visit comment.

Speaking of roadside restaurants, while driving North through El Costa Esmeralda in July, 2006 I passed a roadside restaurant with a huge, wood fired grill out front, with just about every type of meat imaginable sizzling away.

About a half mile down the road the aroma of the cooking meat permeated the cab of my truck. I pulled a u turn and enjoyed a huge plate of grilled meat, cheese, and onions. I ate the left overs for the next two days on the road.

Then there is the restaurant in Rancho Viejo, very near here, which I happened upon which serves fresh, locally raised trout offered in about 15 different preparations.

Smooth sailing y saludos a el capitan.