Thursday, March 23, 2006

My Bus Trip to Telchac Puerto

Monday I took a bus trip to Telchac Puerto, on the Gulf coast Northeast of here. It is a nice little beach town, nicer than Progreso or Chelem I think; but, like all of the beach towns I've visited, there is the almost constant wind and blowing sand.

The bus ride was really the highlight of the trip. I was the only non-local on the bus, both going and returning; and the bus stopped frequently to take on and discharge passengers along the way, in each pueblo and wherever flagged down. At the station in Telchac Puerto the driver had trouble getting the bus engine to fire up, to the point it seemed as though the batteries would be drained so we would all have to pile out and give it a push to jump start it; but finally the beast roared to life and we were off. Somewhere between Boco and Merida one of the side windows fell into the bus, so the driver slowed down while the relief driver retrieved the window. Then a bit further along the driver had to bring the bus to a stop in order to put the beast in gear. It is these kinds of things that cause to enjoy bus trips here.

I should point out that I ride the servicio intermedio buses, rather than the first class buses, as I’d rather ride with the locals. If I were to go further afield, such as to Campeche , which I plan to visit next week, or Cancun, which I intend to never visit except to pass through the airport, I will take a 1st class bus.

3 comments:

Karen Taylor de Caballero said...

I envy your bus trips (in this case, the trip to Telchac Puerto). I'd like to do the same, but I find myself just not doing it, partly because I *suck* at finding the right bus, getting off in the right place, all that... it's defnitely my problem (and not the bus itself), but knowing that doesn't make it any easier for me to wake up one day and decide to go to Telchac Puerto.

So, here's my hope: maybe you'll let me tag along on a future (beyond Merida) bus trip? I need a positive bus riding role model! We can speak in Spanish, which hopefully will help reduce the gringo cognitive load (GCL) of the experience. (Note: I'm holding my own just fine on the local busses... it's bussing beyond that has me stuck.)

You seem to prefer traveling alone, so I won't take it personally if you just don't want to play role model... but if you're willing to endure the hardship of company, let me know. ;)

You Know Me said...

OK. How about a day trip to Campeche, my next destination? The bus leaves the terminal at C. 69 X 70 y 72 at 9:15 AM and the last return bus leaves Campeche at 6:30 PM.

The travel guides suggest spending a couple days there but I'm betting one day is all that is necessary.

Just as with the local buses the drivers and station attendants are very willing to answer any questions, even the dumb ones I often ask.

I find that preceding my questions by "perdoname por favor, pero mi espanol no muy bueno" usually brings a smile to almost anyone's face and assurance that my inadequate Spanish is no problem.

Karen Taylor de Caballero said...

Ah, how we each focus through our own lenses... see, for me, the bus thing is not so much a language problem (though I agree it helps just to let the bus folks know that I'm clueless)... it's a BUS thing! I have the same anxiety about (local) busses in the US... it's a transportation thing... but we can talk about that on our way to Campeche! Yay!

Of course, my schedule may have us waiting longer than you want to... I'll be in touch via email. :)