Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Jose's Cantina Report

This evening at my favorite local cantina, Ricardo, whom I have not before met, was playing the guitar. After he played a number of songs in Spanish he came over and sat next to me and let loose with a beautiful rendition of Eric Clapton's "Tears in Heaven", in English. It was great.

I noticed that Ricardo had the hands of a mechanic and asked him if he worked as such. He explained that music is his love but that he repairs Pemex trucks during the day.

After Ricardo left Jose gave me a nod and put on the Beatles greatest hits CD that was playing the first time I visited his cantina.

I always get lots of practice speaking Spanish at Jose's, as I'm usually the only English speaker there. However there's always at least one drunk who dominates the conversation, as drunks are wont to do, and I have a very difficult time understanding inebriated Spanish.

None-the-less, I really enjoy my visits with the friendly folks at Jose's.

No comments: