Friday, May 27, 2005

Satsop Fireweed


This picture, from 1979 or so, is of a group of us who had traveled to Portland to protest the Trojan nuclear power plant Portland General Electric was building in Rainier, Oregon.

The same group, the Fireweed affinity group of the Crabshell Alliance, protested construction of the Satsop nuclear generating station; and in 1979 and 1980 hosted alternative energy fairs at the county fairgrounds.

Many in this picture were also arrested in 1978 for trespassing upon the Satsop nuclear site; during the Satsop Reclamation, when a couple hundred people “occupied” the construction site. Arrangement were made for a show trial, with nationally recognized nuclear experts lined up to testify about the dangers of nuclear power; but the 1979 Three Mile Island nuclear power plant accident occurred and the county prosecutor dropped the trespassing charges. Posted by Hello

5 comments:

You Know Me said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
You Know Me said...

Welcome life long. I guess some things just don't change.

[I deleted the previous comment I posted as it contained a typo and I don't know how otherwise to make a correction.]

You Know Me said...

Double,

Thanks for the pointer. Obviously, I'm still learning.

I'm thinking I should know who you are by your handle.

You Know Me said...

The “relocation” means I am leaving this country, with which I am completely disgusted. I do not support the concept that “might makes right”; and that, just because we are more powerful, we will invade your country and steal your resources for our use. I could go on and on; but have caught myself and will spare you further ranting.

As for Double Trouble, I suppose you’re right. However, because I have not yet figured out who you are, I can’t say that you’re really in my life. I have this vague recollection of someone I know having the “doubletrouble” email handle.

By the way, thanks for your comments.

You Know Me said...

Double, Come on now, your writing and questions indicate that you are an intelligent person.

I think that over my life to this point I have done my share of attempting to affect positive change. Now I am completely cynical, alarmed at the continued erosion of the Bill of Rights, and disgusted by U. S. aggression toward the rest of the world, so just want to leave.

No it is not important that I discover who you are. Just curious.

Thanks for your comments.